We are regularly being asked about the PRINCE2 project management methodology, what training and what courses are available and appropriate, so we have created a set of frequently asked questions (FAQs). If you don’t find the information you require here then please feel free to get in touch and we will answer them personally.
Last updated 14th December 2018
What does PRINCE stand for? - PRINCE2 is an acronym for projects In Controlled Environments
What is Prince2? - Prince2 is a Project Management methodology and has become the de facto process-based method for effective project management worldwide. It is used extensively by the UK Government, PRINCE2 is also widely recognised and used in the private sector, both in the UK and internationally.
Who owns Prince2? – Prince2 is part of the ‘Best Practice portfolio owned by AXELOS
Is prince2 a professional qualification? – Yes PRINCE2 is a much sought after qualification, and a ‘must have’ qualification for those working as a Project Manager or in Project Management.
What is prince2 certification? – PRINCE2 Certification is a structured project management method and professional certification programme. PRINCE2 emphasises dividing a project into manageable and controllable stages.
Which roles use PRINCE2? – It is used by those managing projects and those support projects, for example those working in an admin role in a PMO (Project Management Office).
What is the latest version of Prince2? – The latest version is 2017, this was the first update to the PRINCE2 methodology since 2009.
Should PRINCE2 only be used for large projects? – No, PRINCE2 can be applied to all sizes and sorts of projects, from the very small to the very large. PRINCE2 can even be used on projects lasting only a few days. PRINCE2 is highly configurable and can be adapted for all project types regardless of industry and marketplace.
What are the prince2 requirements for undertaking training and exams? – Not for the PRINCE2 Foundation: There is no formal prerequisite for the Foundation qualification however delegates should have some understanding of Project Management.For the PRINCE2 Practitioner exam you must already hold the current version of the Foundation.
What is prince2 training? – This is formal accredited training provided by AXELOS accredited training companies.It is not compulsory but you will find it very difficult to pass the exam though just reading the book
What Prince2 training courses are available? - There are a number of Prince2 training courses available:
- Introduction to Project Management – A one-day introduction to Project Management run on-site
- Prince2 overview – Which is a one day introduction to the Prince2 project management methodology
- Prince2 Foundation – This is the entry level course for Project Management.
- Prince2 Practitioner - For those who manage projects on a day-to-day basis or need to understand how projects are managed
- Prince2 combined Foundation and Practitioner – Aimed at those who wish to cover both courses and exams in a single weeks effort.
- Prince2 foundation & practitioner online courses – These prince2 e learning course are ideal for those who cannot afford time out of the office.
- Training is regularly delivered at sites in London, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol and Glasgow and at other venues if there is sufficient demand.
- Prince2 training can also be delivered on-site at your premises.This can be a cost effective approach to deliver training to groups of 4 or more.
Is it still possible to take a re-register exam to maintain PRINCE2 Practitioner status? - There is no longer a re-registration exam. Your PRINCE2® Practitioner certificate is valid for three years, at the end of which you will need to either resit the PRINCE2 Practitioner exam or you can maintain your certificate through a subscription to My PRINCE2. We recommend that you re-sit your Prince2 Practitioner course. Prince2 Practitioner
To remain current through My PRINCE2 you must meet the following criteria within the three-year period:
- Join My PRINCE2 within three months of passing your exam and remain subscribed for the three-year period by renewing the subscription each year; or
- Maintain your PRINCE2 digital badge which will be awarded as part of My PRINCE2 for the three-year period. You will need to record 20 CPD points each year, in the prescribed categories, for the badge to be extended on renewal.
By satisfying the above criteria you will be issued a new certificate that is valid for a further three years. One year's subscription to My PRINCE2 is included with your PRINCE2 Practitioner certificate. My PRINCE2 is an online subscription to the latest resources and content helping you to apply what you have learnt during the PRINCE2 Practitioner exam to the workplace, as well as developing your skills and knowledge in line with future innovations in project and programme management.
Is PRINCE2 suitable for non-IT projects? – Yes, PRINCE2 is designed to be generic and can be used for projects of any nature, not just IT projects.
Is PRINCE2 Agile? – Traditionally PRINCE2 is seen as a ‘Waterfall approach’ to Project Management. That is now not the case. There is now is a PRINCE2 Agile qualification, which will teach you how to apply and tailor the key agile concepts to PRINCE2 projects.
Undertaking the PRINCE2 Agile training will mean that you can potentially complete projects and create returns on investment earlier than possible with a rigid PRINCE2 structure. Undertaking Prince2 Agile training will mean that you can also improve communication across programmes and projects by using common terminology across both PRINCE2 and agile disciplines.
What is the Prince2 Agile course? – PRINCE2 Agile is about taking the long established framework of PRINCE2 and making it more flexible and scalable. PRINCE2 specifies the governance of a project, however it does not dictate the form of delivery. You can therefore deliver PRINCE2 projects with agile methods. This means that projects can change direction while maximising return on investment and still retain best practice governance.
The Prince2 Agile training course is - PRINCE2 Agile Practitioner which can be taken after the Prince2 Foundation rather than the Prince2 Practitioner
How long does it take to get Prince2 qualified? – Typically you can undertake both courses back to back in one week. Some prefer to spread the two courses over several weeks or even months.The choice is yours
Need more help or want to get in touch with us? - If you need more information about PRINCE 2 or PRINCE 2 Training then please get in touch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 01539 736828